Once a child is in a stable Home of Hope family they begin to receive the love and support they need to heal from their past—even a past marred by abuse and neglect. It is here that Child Development becomes a critical component.
OUR TEAM OF HAITIAN AND AMERICAN STAFF OFFERS SPECIAL TRAINING, RESOURCES AND ONE-TO-ONE EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT FOR EACH CHILD IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
– Biblical Discipleship and Learning to Serve Others
– Formal Education and Scholarship Opportunities
– Critical and Creative Thinking Skills
– Trauma Counseling and Care
– English (ESL) Curriculum and a Bi-Lingual Library
– Life Skills Training (day seminars, talks and monthly visits to each home)
– Career Counseling and Vocational Planning
– Summer Continuing Education Opportunities
– Parenting Seminars and Training
THIS PROVIDES EACH CHILD WITH A WELL-ROUNDED EDUCATION INCLUDING BOTH PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENTAL OPPORTUNITIES FROM CHILDHOOD TO YOUNG ADULTHOOD THAT ARE NOT OTHERWISE AVAILABLE IN HAITI.
PRIVATE CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS
In addition to the family-based Child Development opportunities, we have two private Christian schools that are built and run by local LSM staff at both the Cancer Redemption and Welsh Campuses. These schools offer quality education to over 300 students and will hopefully soon include English as a Second Language (ESL), computer and technology courses.
20 Haitian teachers and LSM staff have dedicated their life’s work to these intentional programs so that the Home of Hope children (and local community children who also attend these schools) receive the best education possible.
The Child Development program helps our children with their ability to learn, think and problem solve within their own culture and community. These skills are not generally taught in a school culture traditionally based only on rote memorization.