SERVING DURING UNCERTAINTY
by Doug Isch, LSM President
Over the past 18 years, LSM has experienced our share of uncertain times. In 2007, as markets crashed in the “great recession,” we wondered if funding would still come in. A few years later in 2010, we watched as a 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked Haiti, killing more than 150,000 and creating additional orphaned and vulnerable children. In Ethiopia, we’ve dealt with the uncertainty of government decisions and rules that have periodically made our work very difficult. And now we face the uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic and its economic aftermath. What will it mean for our work around the world?
In these times of uncertainty, we have always tried to find solid footing on those things that we know to be true. Here are just a few:
- God is good. This will never change. We praise Him even in uncertain times!
- God provides in His time and in His way. There is no doubt.
- Our donors are faithful, loyal Christ-followers who believe in what we do and care about the vulnerable. YOU have been a source of certainty in an uncertain world. Thank you.
- Our model of investing deeply in vulnerable children by equipping and empowering them to reach their God-given potential is producing abundant fruit. We are excited to share some of the amazing things that you make possible in this newsletter.
- Prayer works. It’s a mystery, no doubt, but we truly believe that God hears and responds to the prayers of His children. We count on it.
And there are some things that you can be certain of as an LSM supporter. You can be certain that we are praying for you during COVID-19. You can be certain that we will steward every gift with the utmost care. You can be certain that we will continue to serve vulnerable children no matter what virus, or natural disaster, or economic difficulty may come. It’s what God has called us to do and what we WILL continue to do – all by His grace. And that’s for certain.
EXPANDING IN ETHIOPIA
LSM has been working in Ethiopia since 2009. For the past several years, our Family Preservation program has served in a rural village outside Addis Ababa, where we empower over 70 children and their mothers with education, counseling, life skills and small business training. As they take advantage of each new opportunity, these children and their moms gain confidence in their God-given abilities! We are excited to see God expanding our program to include a new location in Ethiopia!
FAMILY PRESERVATION IN ADDIS ABABA
God has expanded our Ethiopia program to the poorest area of the capital city, Addis Ababa. Our Ethiopia staff members, Hilina and Paulos, oversee our newest location, which helps an additional 50 vulnerable children and their single mothers living in the inner-city slums. Like the families in our rural location, these families will be empowered to heal from the inside out – spiritually, emotionally, and socially.
“We have been praying for an opportunity for God to expand our work to reach the forgotten mothers and their vulnerable children. We want them to go from despair and shame to be empowered by Jesus with dignity and confidence. We are very excited about the growth and healing God will bring.”
GRAND OPENING AT LSM TECH
EMPOWERING FUTURE LEADERS
LSM Tech, a project years in the making, has officially opened! After graduating high school, Home of Hope children attend our new campus to attain higher education and training. The first class of six students from LSM’s Homes of Hope are now living in residential dorms on campus while attending a local college. Overseeing their education is Jean Wesly Alcin (Director & Administrator of LSM Tech) and his wife, Valencia [above right]. Students also receive biblical training from our Director of Discipleship, Rony [above left]. In addition, the students learn life skills that will serve them into adulthood while providing sustainable funding for their ongoing education. We believe Haiti will be transformed for Christ as we continue alongside these young adults to equip them as future Christian leaders.
PRAY FOR LSM
- Pray for LSM as we continue to serve during the uncertainty of COVID-19.
- Praise God for PRESERVING FAMILIES IN ETHIOPIA. These families experience healing and restoration in Christ.
- Praise God for A NEW CHAPTER IN HAITI as 6 LSM Technical Institute students take the next steps toward impacting Haiti for Christ as future leaders.
- Pray for the BRICKHOUSE USA program to effectively help vulnerable teens in our community’s foster care system to be thriving adults.
YOUR PARTNERSHIP gives vulnerable children a chance to thrive. We can’t do this without you. Will you join us?
Our BrickHouse program helps local at-risk youth to reach their God-given potential. The greatest need in our local foster care system is to care for hard-to-place teens. Our vision is to empower vulnerable teens in the foster system and beyond to find healing for a better future, while providing them with mentoring, counseling and vocational/career training.
In March 2020, our Ethiopian staff provided a COVID-19 awareness training for all staff members, mothers and children. They took these preventative steps as the first cases of this virus began showing in Ethiopia. This 1-day training was done in shifts to ensure social distancing. They began each session in prayer and then taught about COVID-19, the importance of cleanliness and hand washing practices.