LSM’s Response to the Earthquake in Haiti
Dear Friends of LSM,
On Saturday, August 14, 2021, a 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti in the Les Cayes area where our operations are located. The earthquake was incredibly destructive with over 2,000 known deaths, countless injured and many homes destroyed.
We have been in constant contact with our Haitian program directors and we’re thankful to report that all of our Home of Hope children, parents and staff are safe.
Unfortunately, we did suffer structural damage at our properties. Although good building materials and methods greatly limited the extent of the damage, initial estimates of repairs are in the ten of thousands of dollars.
Damaged support beams at the pavilion of our Redemption Campus
Significant damage located at our Welsh campus
OUR EIGHT-STEP RESPONSE PLAN
- We are distributing clothing we have in Haiti to local hospitals and those in need.
- We are providing clean water in communities near LSM Tech, Welsh, and our Redemption Campus.
- We are using our equipment and manpower to help other Christian humanitarian ministries, such as Samaritan’s Purse, distribute aid and supplies.
- We are continuing an Emergency Grant program that we launched only days after the disaster struck for those people most impacted by the earthquake. This is a program that wisely distributes money through our Haitian program leaders to those most in need in some of the areas where LSM serves.
- We are developing a plan to provide both temporary and permanent shelter for those who lost their homes.
- We are finding ways to help our Haitian workers who lost homes, property, or belongings in the earthquake.
- We anticipate the need for more Homes of Hope and additional program funding to care for more earthquake orphans.
- We’re making plans to repair LSM structures that sustained damage so that all our children and staff are able to live and work in a safe environment.